Restricted category To view older posts, you must first submit an approved post in that category

One hour in hell- my doordash ds interview

At first, the phone screen was very generic - just talked about my work experience and recruiter dove in to ask about my last big project. Passed that easily

Then comes the video screen - 2 interviews, 30min case + 30min sql

Case
Doordash growth is higher than expected in 2019 from Jan - Mar then decreased significantly in April and May, how would you evaluate it?

a bit about my approach:
-In terms of factors affecting growth: 1. User acquisition 2. Demand 3. Demand and supply balance.
-Then I probably talked about a few metrics in each aspect: sign up rate by acquisition channels, the daily number of orders/user, number of orders within the first week after signup, etc.
-I also considered several factors: 1. poor user experience 2. New user promotions 3. Competitors entering market 4. Seasonality

I ended up rambling too much and i could have been more organized.

SQL - 30min 4 questions. the one i remember was estimating how difficult a delivery from a certain restaurant is.

I;m still waiting for results but i feel like i bombed it. hope this info helps those of you who are yet to interview.

How would you approach the case? iā€™m really struggling with if i did it right

2 Likes

Some of the metrics i would consider:
metrics: sign up rate by acquisition channels, the daily number of orders/user, number of orders within the first week after signup, etc.

For the seasonality point - How would identify seasonality issue? what data do you need? Some ideas:

• tracking the monthly number of orders per user, comparing trends with the same month in previous years. Tracking MoM in the same year, comparing the trend with previous years.
  • Consider running promotions to counter the seasonal decrease.
1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! These are all very good points/ideas I can implement in the future.