Restricted category To view older posts, you must first submit an approved post in that category

My Google Interview Experience (Fairly Easy)

Personal background:
After graduating undergrad, I’ve been at startups. In the beginning, I thought that working at a startup would allow me to making greater impact on the products we were building. While that was true, I didn’t feel that the products I was “making a large impact on” were truly making any impact for our users. Our plans were frequently changing, and I could no longer take the (too) fluid nature of the startup environment. I’ve always dreamed of working at a FANG company, and decided to start with Google—a dream I’ve had since I was in middle school. I applied without any referrals because no one in my direct network worked there. Surprisingly, it ended up working out for me!

Interview prep:
I’ve always been a technical person, but I still needed to touch up on coding interviews. I spent a few months and solved a couple hundred Leetcode questions. I primarily spent my time solving medium problems and sometimes hard.

For system design, I went with Grokking the System Design Interview course.

Application:
As I mentioned above, I just applied through the careers site and HR contacted me to arrange an interview 1-2 weeks after.

Interview:
The whole process was really good for me. The people in HR I talked to were all very nice and caring. I was sent some material about/for the interview and read through everything beforehand.

Rounds:

1. I started with 2 rounds of technical phone interviews
  2. Then moved to 5 rounds of (virtual) on site interviews (3 technical, 1 system design, 1 behavioral)

HR got back to me surprisingly quickly after 1 week and said I had passed and was going to move onto team matching.

Now:
At this point, I’m still waiting for team matching (it’s been 2 weeks) but I’ve heard that team matching is really slowing down now at the end of the year. Hopefully I’ll be able to get matched soon…

Overall, the interview process is probably the best I’ve experienced in my limited interview experiences. Hopefully I get matched with a good team and I’ll be able to face new challenges and have a bit more structure in the work I do and make a larger external impact.

PM me any questions you have and I’ll try my best to answer any questions :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve heard that hiring is really slowly at Google as well. Best of luck with team matching and hoping it all works out for you!