Restricted category To view older posts, you must first submit an approved post in that category

How to Answer Broad Product Sense Questions?

e.g.: If Facebook can buy any other non-tech company which one should they? or Instagram Executives had a strategy meeting and decided they wanted to pursue something in the area of Education. You’ve been chosen as the PM to lead the effort. What do you do?

2 Likes

Following this post. Curious what the approach is as well

Another broad question that was asked recently - What should Facebook do next?

These questions are two distinct types, I want to address each separately:

“If Facebook can buy any other non-tech company which one should they?” or “What should Facebook do next?”

This is not a question you’d get at a Facebook product sense round. It could be a question you get in a hiring manager screen or possibly (rarely) in leadership & drive. If asked in that context, it’s a question testing raw product intuition/creativity: the interviewer is looking to hear a few cool/interesting ideas and your answer shouldn’t more than a few minutes long (i.e. no framework). It should be something you genuinely believe and are excited to talk about (rather than something that’s designed to “sound big”).

Instagram Executives had a strategy meeting and decided they wanted to pursue something in the area of Education. You’ve been chosen as the PM to lead the effort. What do you do?

This is a more typical product sense question: it’s basically “Build Instagram for education” wrapped in a narrative. You can use the usual product sense framework. Because education is a big space, you’ll probably need to do a scope cut at some point, e.g you could cut on stage of education (pre-K, K-12, adult education, etc.).

2 Likes

Very interesting perspectives. Thanks for the breakdown!

Thank you so much, so helpful! :slight_smile: I was worried about the first type of question too. It seems much less intimidating now!!