Restricted category To view older posts, you must first submit an approved post in that category

Facebook data science interview debrief

Alright, here’s what I got and PLEASE wish me luck because i havent heard back yet on the offer.

Coding question
Find the common elements from two lists of sorted integers, of lengths m and n, where duplicate numbers are possible.

Follow up questions I got:

• In what situations can binary search make it faster?
  • How do you remove duplicates from the output list?
  • What are the special cases on the lengths of the two lists?
  • How do you test your code? What are some of the edge cases you will test here?

Machine learning (specific to the role)
What are the key assumptions of PCA?
After PCA, how do you restore results to the original space of the data?
On the xy-plane, draw two clusters of data points where the two clusters cannot be separated by k-means but can be easily separated by SVM.

Behavioral questions ( some were generic so just adding the DS ones)

• How did you transition into Data Science from your graduate research?
  • In your previous DS projects, how do you pick metrics to compute and populate?
  • Tell me about a time when you disagreed with a group and how you resolved it.
  • Tell me about a time when you spent too much time working on a project.
  • Tell me about a time when you led a change at work (either technical or non-technical)
  • Tell me about a time when you tried to develop a good work habit that you saw in a coworker.
  • Give me an example of a tense relationship you had with an engineer.

SQL
Guven a table of server traffic volumes by date, app platform, and country:
1- Find the absolute differences in day-by-day volume between iOS and Android, ignoring countries
2- ind the absolute differences in day-by-day volume for every pair of countries (without repeating pairs), ignoring platforms

3 Likes

Let us know when you hear back! Thanks for all the insight. Were there any questions that tripped you up more then expected?